Thursday, February 11, 2010


Dear Walter,
It has been quite a journey to meet you! You were so eager to arrive. It all started on January 28, 2010 when I was getting ready to go to work. I knew something was wrong and thought that maybe the doctor should check to make sure. Sure enough my cervix was dilated and my membranes were "bulging" which guaranteed me a quick jet plane ride to Vancouver. I spent 5 days in BC Womens hospital on bedrest in trendelenburg with my head lower than my legs. I mastered the use of bedpans and eating upside down. Daddy was a big help! Your heart beat was strong, and you seemed pretty cozy. I went to the OR and the docs were unable to close my cervix with a stitch, but at least you seemed content for the time being.

Then on February 1st there was more bleeding and we all got to spend the night in the delivery observation unit while we were hooked up to a fetal heart monitor. You were still pretty content, but by the morning the cramping and bleeding were getting worse. I was praying for time, but in the afternoon you decided to kick your foot through my cervix when daddy left to have a shower. This meant a rush trip to the OR for a C-Section. Poor daddy sprinted back just in time to run into the OR to hold my hand and wait for your arrival. You made a squack when they pulled you out and bundled you in plastic before rushing you away. You were only 690 grams!

Today you are 9 days old and it has been a roller coaster journey for your mommy and daddy. You are doing so well, everyone seems really impressed with how well you are doing. I had to leave you for 4 days to work out a nasty allergic reaction, and upon my return you are so much bigger and stronger! Today you weigh 764 grams, are getting breast milk tube feeds every 2 hours, and are still on the ventilator to help you breath. Your breathing tube is a tad small for you, there is an air leak so you are struggling with your oxygen saturation a little bit but the docs don't want to rush anything and put in a bigger tube just yet. Your eyes are moving around a lot and it looks like they can open any day now. Your bilirubin was up a bit today, and so you are lounging under the bili lights. I got to change your poopy diaper for the first time today, daddy gets to do the next one. You love story time with daddy, start fussing when he stops reading to you...Oh and you are famous already, The Minister of Health and the President of the Vancouver Children's Hospital swung by for a visit and took lots of pictures of you- those politicians love to pose with babies and you're making quite a name for youself around here...apparently your picture will be published somewhere, we're not sure where yet. We are just so proud of how strong you are, and can't wait until you are big enough for us to hold. We love you so much, and can't wait to take you home....

No comments:

Post a Comment